In recent years, fat has been less under attack than ever before.
Partially because studies have found many fats can actually be healthy for us, when consumed in the context of a proper diet that is.
One of the most beneficial fats comes from coconut oil.
Coconut oil is made up of MCTs, or medium chain triglycerides. These shorter fat molecules are easily broken down by the body for quick absorption and use, making coconut oil one of the best oils to use for cooking and baking.
What we’ve done is compiled 6 of the top reasons to add coconut oil to your diet. All of these have been backed up by scientific research and can dramatically help to improve the quality of your life and health.
1. Coconut Oil Can Increase Metabolism: Owing to their construction, MCTS can actually help increase energy expenditures. Over a 24 hour period scientists were able to show how adding coconut oil could increase metabolism which both provided more energy as well as aiding in weight loss.
2. Coconut Oil Can Help Fight Infection: The fatty oils in coconut oil, both lauric acid and monolaurin can also help to neutralize and kill pathogens, which can help fight infection.
3. Coconut Oil Can Help Regulate Appetite: For those who have insatiable appetites, coconut oil can actually help normalize appetite levels. When MCTs in coconut oil are broken down it forms ketones. These ketones are used for energy, and are better for insulin regulation than carbs. In one study 6 men ate different amounts of both MCTS and longer chain triglycerides. Those who ate the most MCTs ended up consuming 256 fewer calories per day, on average.
4. Coconut Oil Can Help With Cholesterol Levels and Lower Risk of Heart Disease: It was shown coconut oil can actually reduce the harmful effects of LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) while also working to raise the levels of HDL (good cholesterol). The improvement in both of these parameters leads researchers to conclude the risk for heart disease would likely go down as a result of these factors changing.
5. Coconut Oil can Help you Lose Weight: Research has shown when people consume an ounce of coconut oil a day they actually lose weight. Authority nutrition noted “A study in 40 women with abdominal obesity, supplementing with 30 mL (1 ounce) of coconut oil per day lead to a significant reduction in both BMI and waist circumference in a period of 12 weeks Another study in 20 obese males noted a reduction in waist circumference of 2.86 cm (1.1 inches) after 4 weeks of 30 mL (1 ounce) of coconut oil per day.
Want to see how else coconut oil can work to help you lose weight?