If you’re an avid exerciser, you may be familiar with this problem. You hit the gym regularly, and you know you’re strengthening and sculpting your abs. But it’s hard to show the world, because a little layer of fat hides those hard-earned gains.
If you want to drop that those last few pounds of fat, or if you’re dealing with an even bigger problem, consider fat-burning supplements. Here are five of the best fat burning aids. You can use them individually, or purchase a supplement that combines them.
1. Caffeine – Caffeine helps in two ways. It helps your body burn more calories and it binds to the receptors on your fat cells. Studies show best results when you take a dose of 200 to 400 milligrams before workouts. Also take a dose two to three times daily between meals.
2. Yohimbine – This substance is found in the bark of the yohimbe trees of Central and West Africa. Yohimbine is believed to boost libido, but like caffeine, it also increases the amount of fat that is released from your fat cells. One dose of yohimbe has five to 20 milligrams, to be taken two to three times daily. Also take a dose 30 to 60 minutes before workouts.
3. Green Tea Extract – Green tea extract supports fat loss by increasing the number of calories you burn. The active ingredients in green tea are catechins, especially epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). The suggested dose is 500 to 1,000 milligrams of green tea extract (standardized as EGCG)
two or three ties daily. Take one dosage 30 to 60 minutes before workouts.
4. Synephrine – Synephrine is an ingredient of the bitter orange plant (Citrus aurantium). It boosts your metabolic rate, increasing the number of calories you burn. Recommended dose is five to 20 milligrams taken two to three times daily. Take one dose 30 to 60 minutes before working out.
5. Capsaicin – This is a natural plant extract found in chili peppers. It increases the number of calories burned by raising epinephrine levels. A University of Oklahoma study determined taking a supplement with both capsaicin and caffeine increased calorie burn during exercise and after exercise, as well.
Look for capsaicin or cayenne pepper supplements that list Scoville Heat Units (SHU), and take about 40,000–80,000 units. Take the supp 30 minutes before meals two to three times per day. One of those doses should be taken 30–60 minutes prior to workouts.