Scientists tell us there are a number of foods and drinks which inhibit cancer and prevent the development of tumors. Some scientists believe these foods are more effective than chemotherapy. Each of these foods has a hidden power, called anti-angiogenesis, which interrupts the blood supply to cancerous cells.
A dependable blood supply is necessary for malignant cells to form tumors, and for tumors to grow and spread. The process by which new blood vessels are created is called angiogenesis. During human infancy, angiogenesis is enhanced. It also activates in adults when there is a wound, and the body needs to regenerate tissues and capillaries. Angiogenesis is regulated by activator and inhibitor molecules, with inhibitors generally predominating.
When there are tumors present in the body, the situation changes. At that point, the activator molecules increase vascular cell growth to form new blood vessels. Cancer cells release their own activators of angiogenesis, and these molecules trick the body into supplying the tumor with nutrients and oxygen through an increased blood supply.
5 Foods that stop angiogenesis:
1. Tomatoes – Research conducted at Harvard found that consuming tomato sauce more than four times monthly lowers the risk of prostate cancer by 50 percent. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which has anti-angiogenic properties. Lycopene is fat-soluble, and must be absorbed through the digestive tract. Vitamin C levels in tomatoes rise when exposed to high temperatures or cooked along with oil.
2. Tumeric – This spice accelerates the fat-burning process and supports overall health. You might consider adding curries to your diet.
3. Red wine– Red wine contains reservatrol, a powerful antioxidant known to reduce the incidence of cancer and enhance life span. Studies show reservatrol kills bacteria, viruses and fungi. It also supports the energy production in cells, removes dangerous free radicals, raises glucose tolerance to diabetes, improves heart health, physical and mental status and concentration. It repairs damaged DNA and can even protect cells from radiation.
Bordeaux and Pinot Noir are the varieties of wine highest in reservatrol. If you prefer, you can also take this polyphenol in supplements. Recommended dosage is 200 to 600 micrograms daily.
4. Berries – Blueberries and raspberries are also high in phytochemicals, thus reducing oxidative stress and blocking angiogenesis. They provide particular protection against ovarian cancer.
5. Coffee and Green Tea – Coffee is rich in antioxidants, and three cups of black coffee every day has been proven to reduce the risk of liver cancer by 50 percent. Tea contains a natural cancer fighter called flavonoids, and green tea is the richest sources.