Turmeric is often referred to as “The Queen of Spices,” because of its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-aging properties. This spice is related to ginger, and is widely used in Indian dishes, where it provides a golden color and and earthy flavor. It also has a long history of use in medicinal applications, from controlling pain to fighting cancer.
Turmeric derives its golden color, as well as its health-giving benefits, from curcumin. Curcumin has been the subject of much research, and has been shown to be a powerful antiseptic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory. It has a role in treating a number of health problems. It is non-toxic even at high doses, although people taking it occasionally experience an upset stomach or nausea. It is also rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Here are 12 reasons you should be taking turmeric:
1. It promotes healthy sleep and reduces depression.
2. It reduces insulin resistance and regulates blood sugar. However, if you take medication for diabetes type II, be sure to check with our doctor before using this spice.
3. It fights free radicals and helps maintain cell health. Curcumin is believed to block the emzymes that support growth of cancer cells.
4. Turmeric increase bile flow, which in turn breaks down fat.
5. It acts as a natural liver cleanser and improves the circulation of blood throughout the body.
6. It boosts the immune system through its antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial activities.
7. Tumeric is thought to prevent and slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. When applied in a paste, turmeric heals minor cuts, bruises and burns, helping to restore the skin. It is also good for psoriasis and other inflammatory skin problems.
9. Turmeric is a natural painkiller, and its anti-inflammatory qualities help with joint pain and arthritis.
10. It improves digestion by reducing bloating and gas, stimulating the gallbladder, and suppressing bowel inflammation. However, do not use it if you have gallbladder disease.
11. Turmeric prevents blood clotting, reduces the level of “bad” cholesterol, and prevents the buildup of plaque in arteries.
12. It is considered one of the best foods for beautiful skin. It evens skin pigmentation and tones skin, and it is included in many skin care products to give you a healthy glow.